I saw this post on Scott's blog, and it made me wonder what it would take to get into that salon. What defines virtuous, anyway?
2. You are not to keep company with men.
3. You must be home between the hours of 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. unless attending a school function.
4. You may not loiter downtown in icecream stores.
5. You may not travel beyond city limits unless you have the permission of the chairman of the board.
6. You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man unless he's your father or brother.
7. You may not smoke cigarettes.
8. You may not dress in bright colors.
9. You may under no circumstances dye your hair.
10. You must wear at least two petticoats.
11. You dresses must not be any shorter than two inches above the ankle.
12. To keep the school room neat and clean you must sweep the floor at least once daily, scrub the floor at least once a week with hot, soapy water, clean the blackboards at least once a day, and start the fire by 7 a.m. so that the room be warm by 8 a.m.
We found this in a coal-mine museum school-room where we took the in-laws today. It was right next to a set of punishment rules. Boys and Girls who played together got four lashes, but Boys who misbehaved with Girls got ten.