The perfect summer night supper.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
10 oz baby arugula (or as much as you like)
1 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Zest of one lemon
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup milk
1/2 lb penne pasta
salt to taste
– Bring a pot of water to boil. Salt it and add the pasta. Cook the pasta until a little less than al dente. Drain.
– While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan.
– Add the flour to the oil and stir until browned.
– Gently add the milk to the roux, whisking all the time. Bring the sauce to a boil, then simmer for a minute or two until thickened to a saucy consistency. Turn off the heat.
– Add salt, pepper, zest and basil to the sauce.
– Mix the drained pasta with the sauce and cover. The pasta will soak up the sauce while the veggies cook.
– Heat the other tbsp of oil in a skillet. Add the garlic. Saute until softened.
– Add the chopped tomatoes, arugula, and cook until just wilted. Season to taste.
– Serve the arugula tomato mixture over the pasta.
This was so good, I am now officially an arugula convert. 🙂