Oh, so good.
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or use all purpose)
3/4 cup old fashioned oats, crumbled coarsely
1/2 cup sugar ( I used 1/4 cup)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1- 1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup applesauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup blueberries
– Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 8×8 cake pan.
– Mix the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
– Whisk together 1 cup milk, vanilla, applesauce, and cornstarch.
– Toss the blueberries gently in a tbsp of the flour mixture in a bowl.
– Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix quickly. ( All flours are different. If the batter looks dry, add more milk until it looks like cake batter.)
– Gently fold in the blueberries.
– Pour in the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for ten minutes before serving.
The cake turned out really well. The original recipe calls for quick oats. Since I only had old-fashioned, I crumbled them into a coarse flour. That made the mixture soak more liquid ( I used 1 1/4 cups of milk), and I suspect the cornstarch can be omitted completely.
Nine servings : Per serving 133 cals (with 1/4 cup sugar), 27.5 gm carbs, 1.1 gm fat, 3.4 gm protein