Seriously Reduced fat banana muffins with tea.
I used the Post Punk Kitchen's recipe (for banana bread) with some changes, replacing all the oil with apple sauce and halving the sugar. I also replaced half of the all purpose flour with fine-ground durum flour (the chapati flour available in Indian stores.) The muffins turned out very moist, sweet, and all around Delicious.
1 cup all purpose flour + 1 cup durum flour (or use 2 cups all purpose flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp chai masala ( a combo of cloves and cardamom)
1/2 cup applesauce (This is in lieu of fat, you can replace some or all with butter/margarine)
2 tbsp molasses
1/4 cup sugar
3 well mashed medium bananas (or two large ones)
What to do:
– Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
– Grease a 9 x 4 bread pan or a 12 cup regular sized muffin pan.
– Whisk all the wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
– Sift all the dry ingredients together and add them to the wet.
– Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Pour into the greased pan.
– For the muffins, bake for 23-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
– For bread, bake for 50-60 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
– Cool for ten minutes.
These are so good..they get all caramelized on the outside, and soft on the inside. The recipe is very play-able. Chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit, raisins..these are all fair additions. What would I do without vegan baking Goddesses?
* Makes 10 muffins- per muffin, 160 cals, 0.3 gm fat, 36.6 gm carbs, 4 gm protein, 1.8 gm fiber.
Happy Fireworks, folks!!!