Lima bean and carrot soup with spinach-tomato focaccia. Adapted from this recipe, with a little tweaking. Perfect comfort food for the soul..simple, earthy and delicious. This was my first attempt at cooking with Lima beans, and they have now found a permanent place between the massive stacks of lentils and chickpeas in our pantry.
8 cups vegetable stock/water ( I made some with onion, bay leaf, mushrooms, cilantro stalks and celery)
4 medium carrots, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
salt and black pepper to taste
cilantro/parsley for garnish
– Soak lima beans in 5 cups water overnight. I used the quick-soak method ( soaking them in boiling hot water for two hours). Drain the beans.
– Heat butter in a soup pot. Saute the carrots for two minutes, then add basil, thyme, and soaked lima beans. Saute for another couple of minutes.
– Add stock. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low, cover and let it simmer for an hour.
– Remove a cupful of beans with some liquid, mash well and return to the pot. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
– Add milk, salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat. Serve garnished with cilantro/parsley.