A green soup inspired by the Indian sarson ka saag (slow cooked mustard greens).
10 oz frozen mustard greens
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
4 cups vegetable stock/water
salt to taste (use rock salt for extra effect)
1/2 cup plain yogurt ( greek yogurt- even better)
* Add 2 tbsp lemon juice if the yogurt is not sour.
1 tbsp ginger-green chili paste
– Heat olive oil in a sauce pan.
– Add onions, ginger green chili paste and saute for a minute or two, until onions turn golden.
– Add thyme, oregano, pepper flakes, tomatoes, and the thawed greens.
– Add stock/water and bring to a boil.
– Add salt to taste, then turn the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for twenty minutes or so.
– Use a blender to puree all/half of the soup.
– Turn off the heat.
– Reserve some avocado cubes for garnish. Mash the rest in yogurt and add it to the soup.
* You can use cream/half n half for a creamier soup. Just skip the lemon juice at the time (will curdle the cream.) It may be added to the bowl at the time of serving, along with avocado cubes and more yogurt for garnish.