Savory waffles..the best of both worlds.
1 cup semolina/cream of wheat
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup chickpea/gram flour (or just use all-purpose)
1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
1/4 cup grated carrots
2 tbsp frozen/fresh corn
1 tsp baking powder
1 chopped green chilli pepper (I used serrano)
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
salt to taste
1 pinch asfoetida (optional)
5 tbsp plain yogurt ( Activia/ sour yogurt preferred)
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp baking soda
– I toasted the semolina and gram flour in an iron skillet to bring out the flavor, but its not essential.
– In a mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients except baking soda, adding enough water to make a thick batter.
– Heat a waffle iron.
– Take enough batter for one batch in a separate bowl, depending upon the size of your iron.( For my two-waffle iron, I divided the batter into three batches.)
– Add 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Mix quickly, and pour in the waffle iron.
– Repeat for two-three more waffles.
We really like these waffles..the semolina makes them crisp, the gram flour adds a delicious flavor, and they are quite sinless. Serve them with a salad of fresh tomatoes, peppers, herbs, or tomato-cilantro chutney like we did.