with hot paranthas (flatbreads) and garlic pickle. Basic home food that never fails.
– 2 large potatoes, cubed
– 2 tbsp vegetable oil
– 2 tsp cumin seeds
– 2 tbsp coriander powder (from seeds)
– 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
– 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
– salt to taste
– fresh cilantro for garnish
– In a big skillet, heat the oil.
– Add cumin seeds, wait till they sizzle, then add chilli powder, coriander, turmeric.
– As the spices start to sizzle and change color, add the veggies. Saute for a minute, then add salt, a tbsp of water, lower the heat to low-medium and cover.
– Check every 5-6 minutes, stir and add a few drops of water if needed. Cook like this, covered, until veggies are soft enough to cut through with a wooden spoon, but not mushy.
– Garnish with cilantro and serve with flatbreads, tangy yogurt and pickle. Also makes a great stuffing for pocket sandwiches the next morning.