Orange and green. Mixed in my head with memories of green ashoka trees and orange dupattas.
From this recipe, more or less. I used cilantro instead of thyme, omitted the onions and used fatfree milk instead of half n half. Also, I finally got to use the new Better than Bouillon vegetable base for stock. Verdict- its a keeper. Excellent flavor, easy to use, and much better than the icky-flavored stock cubes.
Our first fruit and nut tabouli came from Didi Emmon's Vegetarian Planet. It was a wonderful recipe, with orange segments and walnuts. Since then, I've made tabouli with all sorts of fruits, including oranges, apples, pineapples, grapes, even mango! Ditto for nuts..you can go crazy with this recipe and still end up with something good.
Fruit and nut tabouli
– 1/4 cup bulgur, soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes, drained
– 1 bunch parsley, processed/chopped fine
– segments of one orange
– 1 granny smith apple, peeled, chopped
– 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted in the microwave (2-3 minutes)
– a handful of mint, chopped fine
– 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
– salt to taste
– 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
Squeeze the bulgur to remove all excess water. Mix together all the ingredients, refrigerate for an hour and enjoy!