I love muffins. As far as I'm concerned, muffins are just cupcakes without the icing, and they can be eaten for breakfast, evening tea, snack..anytime at all. This recipe, adapted from the super veganomicon, is also disgustingly healthy and has only about 140 calories per large muffin.
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tbsp canola oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oat/wheat bran
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup dried apple pieces/raisins
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
– Mix together milk and vinegar and let stand for a minute. Add applesauce, oil, sugar and whisk together.
– In another bowl, mix all the dry ingredients except raisins/apple pieces.
– Mix the dry ingredients into the wet; add raisins and fold.
– Pour into greased muffin pan and bake for 20 minutes.
Makes 6 muffins, and you can double the recipe (I halved the original).
I used my silicone muffin pan, and did not even have to do any pre-greasing. The whole thing took 30 minutes in all..amazing!